Hello fans of Artzy Creations! This is Tracy, here again with Made From Pinterest bringing you an amazing cookie experience! I love these Salted Caramel Chocolate Pillows because I’m a huge fan of salted caramel anything!
Normally I find new recipes to try by trolling through Pinterest. The suggestion for this recipe happens to come from my 11 year old son, he is the youngest of our 5 kiddos. His next oldest sibling is his 17 year old sister who is a senior in high school. She loves her younger brother and is wonderful about spending time with him. But sibling love only goes so far and I needed to come up with some additional activities to help keep him busy this summer.
He has been pleading with me for his own Pinterest account, I suggested to him that he could go on my personal Pinterest account and start a board with science experiments that we could try out together this summer. All the while I was patting myself on the back because I would be able to kill two birds with one stone. 1) Spend time with my sweet boy and 2) create fun non-recipe content for our blog at the same time. I went to check my Pinterest account and see what he had pinned, I found 1 board with 10 science experiments, 1 board with 50 funny animal memes and 1 board with 20 amazing recipes.
He begged me to make these pillows before we tried one of the science experiments he had pinned. When he found this pin, he couldn’t wait for me to get the recipe from Debbie who blogs at Life is Sweets. Oh my, Debbie’s blog is the place to go when you have a serious hankering for a sweet dessert treat! She has so many tempting recipes it was hard to leave her site! Debbie’s recipe calls for chocolate to be drizzled over the pie crust, which I was going to do until I had the brilliant idea of drizzling carmel over it instead. I went to my baking drawer and found a bag of open caramels, only a handful was left, not enough for any drizzling. I was so disappointed 🙁 then I remembered I had a jar of Mrs. Richardson’s caramel topping in my fridge.
I grabbed the jar of caramel topping, warmed it up in the microwave and began to drizzle it over each chocolate pillow. The final touch was the Mediterranean Sea Salt, it gives these guys the perfect combination of flavors. Which reminds me that cooking in and of itself is a science experiment! Call it cooking or call it science these Salted Caramel Chocolate Pillows…
- 1 refrigerated pie crust, thawed
- 14 Hershey Kisses of choice, (you can use different flavored Hershey Kisses)
- 1 egg white whisked with 1 Tbsp water
- 1 small jar Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel Topping
- Mediterranean Sea Salt
- Other optional toppings:
- 1 cup chocolate chips melted
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Granulated sugar for sprinkling before baking
- Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment or spray with non-stick baking oil
- Roll out the pie crust on lightly floured counter top.
- Made 2 1/2 inch circles with a knife or biscuit cutter (I used a drinking glass)
- Place one Hershey Kiss in each circle.
- Fold 1/2 of the pie dough over the Kiss and seal the pie dough.
- Pull the other half of the pie dough up forming a criss cross and pinch to seal the edges.
- I got 16 pillow puffs by re-rolling all the scraps out.
- Brush each pillow puff with the egg wash and then sprinkle with a little granulated sugar or Mediterranean salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for 15 to 20 minutes or until your pillow puffs are golden brown. Remove from oven, allow to cool for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Drizzle with Mrs. Richardson’s Caramel topping and sprinkle with Mediterranean Sea Salt. Serve and enjoy!